This week has been a week of what I would call “pre-submissions”, nothing I have been working on is final, but full versions of all my chapters exist and feedback is being integrated.
I have just sent my pen-ultimate version of the Montreal P budget work to my advisor, as I have integrated feedback about making tables and equations clearer and adding some references to support some assumptions. I also sent my framework paper to my advisor, after spending an intense few days trying to decide how and when to integrate co-author feedback with the help of my second author. I must say that I do love having co-authors you can really work through things with, it not only makes that one paper better, I also learn how to be a better editor when I do it alone for other projects.
I also sent my “barriers and facilitator to recycling P” to a friend of mine for a pre-review (I am trying to be a better self-editor, and I think part of that is knowing when to call upon friends and colleagues expertise when I lack it). Based on his feedback I am going to work on increasing clarity in the whole manuscript by dividing sentences (I tend to try to put too many ideas in one sentence). I am also going to read two ethnography books to try and structure the language I use in my methods section more clearly.
Perhaps the most exciting news is that I did finish my post-doc research proposal and submitted it. It wasn’t easy, but it did come together and I was able to get general feedback both from my current advisor and the potential supervisor on the proposed project. Interestingly, their feedback didn’t quite agree, but I think I was able to integrate what was needed. I don’t know if it is the strongest proposal in the world, but I am very happy that I did it. I feel less scared about writing another proposal in the near future if need be.
Still lots more work to do for my thesis, and applying to new post-doc opportunities, but I am lucky to be in a wonderful city with lots of cafes to do all this work in!